Wiki for anaesthetic procedures??

apmadden

Wiki for anaesthetic procedures??

Post by apmadden »

Have a look at Wikisurgery and read the letter in the BMJ on 10 January. One of the things they do in Wikisurgery is provide a simple text only guide for surgery by numbers, aimed at trainees, that can be downloaded if desired, e.g. to a mobile phone. Something along the lines of 1. check consent, 2. check instruments, 3. scrub up, 4. clean skin with...,5. infiltrate 10ml 1% lidocaine along line of incision etc etc. Would it be appropriate to do something similar for anaesthetic techniques? Epidurals, spinals, cvp and arterila lines etc would all be good subjects. One of my former colleagues. a SCATA member, has a very good video on fibreoptic intubation. Comments please!
Alan Hope

Re: Wiki for anaesthetic procedures??

Post by Alan Hope »

Absolutely agree.

The Pantogen operation scripts that form the basis of WikiSurgery are new to me - I must ask my surgical colleagues their take on this approach. Not totally convinced by the "wash-hands", "put on gloves" level of detail ... and I suspect that we can achieve the same transfer of "valuable information from experience" using a less rigid format on the Wiki.

I have access to a library of movies depicting Ultrasound for blocks / vascular access, and the author of these desperately keen for a platform to share his experience. The Wiki should be the place for guys like him - and hopefully will be fairly soon.

ScataWiki: open for business, and usable on a mobile device.
Anaesthesia: it's a gas!
apmadden

Post by apmadden »

Alan, I think you are right. I had a brief look at the SCATAwiki again today and I think we could turn it into a really useful resource for anaesthetists of all grades. There are one or two topics I think I could usefully contribute to myself. I'll see what I can do! Tony.
Michael Edwards

Post by Michael Edwards »

Hello APMADDEN,
I have just seen your note about this project. I am web editor of Wikisurgery and am most interested.
Our scripts aim to contain, in a digestible form, all the information that an expert uses when performing a procedure. That means the procedure itself in unprecedented detail, plus all the What ifs.
They can be looked on as a form of experience equivalent for our experience starved trainees.
As an example, have a look at a ring block
http://www.wikisurgery.com/index.php?ti ... NAESTHESIA
All sorts of media can be added to the written scripts.
If the level of detail appears excessive, the scripts can be detuned easily, (but the information can still be available as needed).
I should be delighted to hear from you if I can be of any assistance.
Best wishes,
Michael Edwards

http://www.wikisurgery.com/index.php?ti ... NAESTHESIA